Friday, October 2, 2009

The Beginning of my Adult Life as I Know it:)


So I am staying true to form and continuing my exploration of the world. I left Greece after a year of studying art and classical culture and returned home to Wisconsin at the end of May. I graduated from college with a Classics degree and spent my summer working construction in order to save up money to come to Russia. In August, I journeyed to Moscow and became an English teacher for the company Language Link. Now I live in Zelenograd which is only 30km away from Moscow proper.

Zelenograd is known as the "green city", but when I first arrived I had my doubts about the derivation of this name. I live near the train station so it appears more gray than green in my area. Before I came to Russia, I imagined spending my weekends walking through a forest and stopping by an alluring tree to read my latest book or having a picnic with friends. This is precisely why I packed so many books with me, including books on Russian history, the Russian language, and Latin and Greek. Upon arrival, I realized that I was scared to death and didn't want to leave my room. I felt isolated because I didn't speak the language and I couldn't really function here, as nobody speaks English. I slowly came out of my shell and each day I would achieve small accomplishments that would give me the confidence to survive in this foreign land. I thought I would be prepared for Russia, after having lived in the most inconvenient country of Greece, but I still suffered a bit of culture shock.

So I survived the first few days on my own, holed up in my room. On the next Monday, I started the teacher training program in Moscow. I met people from all over the world including Russia, Australia, England, Scotland, and Ireland. The 22 of us soon became excellent comrades in arms. Together we fought the mundane war on English for up to 10 hours a day. The war culminated in an enormous grammar test, which we all passed. We then went our separate ways to towns across Russia. However, we have not ceased contact and on the weekends we all get together to enjoy some vodka and gherkins (pickles). I thoroughly enjoy working in Zelenograd all week and then escaping to stay with friends in Moscow on the weekends. It is like a vacation to look forward to every week:)

Last weekend two of my friends (Abby from America and Nathan from Canada) and I went to a park to have that picnic of my dreams. We took loads of pictures and skipped down the lane arm in arm, just as picturesque as you could imagine. Afterwards we did a bit of sightseeing in Red Square and then we journeyed for a cup of Joe at the all famous "Kafe Haus". A day isn't complete in Moscow without a cup of coffee at a cafe (a Mediterranean habit that I have picked up). Weekends like this with good friends, good sights, and good memories give me much to look forward to for the remainder of my time in Russia.


No comments:

Post a Comment