Monday, October 5, 2009

Caffeine, Autumn, and Ikea....Oh My!


This weekend I enjoyed some adventures and some much missed comforts. As usual on Saturday, I went to Moscow to see my friends. I met Abby, Iain, and Nathan at a Kafe Haus (sort of like Russian Starbucks). We sat for hours drinking half-priced cappuccinos and catching up on each other's weeks. We discuss important matters as well and have good healthy debates about controversial issues.....and as always my own view is right and I have the final word! (just kidding:)

After we were sure that our caffeine to blood ratio was at an unhealthy level, we left Kafe Haus and walked through a park to enjoy Moscovian Autumn. Autumn is my favorite season and I haven't seen it done right in a while. (Greece just skips the season...hahaha) I love the smell of the wet leaves on the ground and the delightful rustling sound they make when the wind blows. Mostly, I love the colors. I find the juxtaposition of the warm Fall colors against the brisk air very comforting. You feel so safe when you are snuggled up in your gloves, scarf, and jacket yet you know that outside your cocoon of warmth is the cold world trying to wheedle its way in. Because the Fall weather in Moscow is so similar to Wisconsin, I really feel at home.

Later that night, we met some more friends and Russians for drinks and schwarma. I love schwarma and I love getting them at the train station. There are about 10 schwarma stands at the train station and everyone told me not to get one because it isn't sanitary and it's made from cats and dogs and yada yada yada....... Here is the thing: schwarma is super cheap and filling and convenient....so basically I don't care and a little bacteria never hurt anyone. I will admit that the cat and dog rumor did perturb me, but upon further investigation it was proven to be false and merely a little Russian racism that started the rumor. All the schwarma stands are run by Asians (from the Caucus regions like Tajikistan and Uzbekistan). My favorite part of getting schwarma is that I have a particular schwarma stand where I am a regular at. It is so great because I don't speak Russian and the kid who works there doesn't speak English.....since I am a regular I don't have to say a word and he knows my order by heart and it makes us both smile:)

On Sunday, I had quite an adventure to Ikea! My friend Abby very kindly took me to Ikea, since she knew the way, but it was hell and a half to get there. I will omit the details because I don't care to relive that experience....but the gist is that we ate at Ikea and I bought some really awesome stuff for my room to give it a little Shayla pizazz!!! I really transformed my shabby little cave into a sanctuary. It was nice to get a taste of home and to remember other fond Ikea moments in Minneapolis. Ikea is just one of those places that you go to for every big chapter of your life whether it is before going to college, moving into your first home, or decorating your apt abroad! Everyone that knows me, knows that my love of Ikea rivals my love for Xena (dare I say such a thing!). This exciting weekend allowed me to do what I do best and procrastinate. I paid for it this morning when I had to spend 3 hours marking tests for my classes today....oh well....some things never change!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Shayla,
    IKEA is amazing. So are you! :) I love the globe-like paper light. Your room is perf for you in Russia! And I love the fact that you are blogging so I can keep up to date with you and pretend you are sitting in my room telling me these things. It is a beautiful time. hehe. Talk soon! LOVE LOVE! ~kgw

    ReplyDelete